Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's Just a Toy...



OK...I can't believe I'm blogging about this, but I'm feeling a bit emotional today.  It's probably the upcoming holiday and all the friends & family we'll see when we head "back home" tomorrow. Maybe it's because I tend to get all contemplative around this time of year. Or maybe it's realizing life keeps moving forward whether you're ready for it or not.

After 2 years of Jack repeatedly asking for a power wheels Jeep, we finally decided to get one for him for Christmas last year.  We researched all the models & convinced ourselves that it was an "investment" and once Emily came home she would grow into it as well.  

So, we joined a legion of parents in the ritual of figuring out how to sneak into the house a BIG surprise, assemble it without the child's knowledge & pray he buys our story of how Santa delivered it while we were away visiting family.  Talk about some creative diversion tactics.  I somehow kept Jack busy "running errands" for TWO full hours while Craig patiently assembled the behemoth in our garage. 

When we came back from our Christmas trip to see the family, Jack was excited to find the Jeep, but we soon realized we hadn't fully thought our decision through.  Living on a very busy street in a neighborhood full of 10-12 yr old boys that are rough on little kids' toys & having a small backyard...let's just say it got limited use.  The weird thing?  Jack didn't seem to really mind. 

Fast forward to a year later.  I'm simplifying (could it be from having a 2nd energetic kid to chase around?) and in a fit of clearing out, decided to sell the Jeep.  It was taking up lots of valuable room in the shed.  We ran the idea by Jack & he was OK with selling it to a family that would be able to use it more.  So we posted the toy on Craigslist last week.  After several replies we decided to sell to a Grandma & Grandpa that wanted to surprise their grandchildren.  Almost as soon as I said "sold" I became attached to that silly plastic thing.  I felt better when they arrived today to pick it up since I could see the excitement on their faces, but after they left & with fresh cash in my hands, I started to cry!!!

I think I freaked Craig out.  He asked if I was crying because of the mistake we made in buying the Jeep in the first place or because it represented Jack growing up.  What a smart, sensitive guy he is.  I realized Jack is growing up so fast.  He's more interested in video games & now has announced he wants to be a professional snow boarder--he's only SIX YEARS OLD!!!  I'm sad that something that meant so much to him 2 years ago no longer holds his interest.  I'm sad that I can't stop time.

OK...this is just the swift kick in the butt I need to remember to cherish every sweet memory, because in the blink of an eye, and in a much deeper voice, he'll be asking for a REAL Jeep!!

1 comment:

Runner Girl said...

You are so right! Toys hold such powerful memories of ages and stages!

Hug those babies often!