Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's A Small World After All...


As you can imagine, these last few months have been filled with many "firsts" for Emily.  Jack LOVES pointing out when an event is a first experience for her & last weekend was another such occasion, Emily's first Parade of Lights & meeting Santa.

A friend, "Evil Sherry"--a description SHE coined herself, but a very fitting one--invited us to join her at her company Christmas party again.  The awesome part is that her office building is along the Parade of Lights route.  After enjoying yummy food & drinks (and the kids seeing Santa & Mrs. Clause) we head to the 2nd floor and enjoy watching the parade through the big windows.  This is our 4th year tagging along, but our first year meeting a particular family.

Now I don't know how many employees work at Sherry's bank, nor am I good at estimating how many people were there, but there are approximately 5-6 floors to choose from to watch the parade.  Our "usual" spot is on the 2nd floor in the President's office.  This year we chose a smaller office & had just gotten settled when another family came in.  Right away, I noticed their daughter had strong Mayan features, but was hesitant to say anything for fear of "offending".  Thankfully the girl's parents broke the ice.  After some small talk, they asked if Emily was from  Guatemala!!  Turns out their 3 year old daughter Cassidy was born in Guatemala AND in the same department (county) as Emily--the Mixco department!!  Poor Sherry probably felt a little left out for the next 30-45 minutes as we compared notes, etc.   Talk about a nice coincidence...

2 comments:

Runner Girl said...

How fun and exciting to be able to experience "firsts" through a child's eyes. This was a touching post...I don't believe there are any coincidences in this life! I hope you exchanged phone numbers with your new friends!

Runner Girl said...

Stacy~

Thank you for your kind words and sentiments; they were timely. You made me cry--hard!

I'm glad you enjoy spending time at Hokey Pokey and listening to the music. That makes me smile.

It's funny, I made the decision to stop blogging at the end of December--this was a one year experiment for me--however, as soon as I made that decision, people--like you--come along and say such heartfelt things--like you did, and it moves through my heart like electricity causing me to wonder about my decision.

I am humbled by your kind words, truly!

I pray that this is the best and brightest Christmas that you have known and that it is everything you hope and dream for it to be!