Friday, July 4, 2008

My, How Time Flies...

OK...I've been remiss in keeping my blog up to date. Especially when you compare my blog to the Vander Zwaag Family. While they lived in Guatemala for over a month, she posted DAILY with great pictures. There were times I felt the pangs of "I should do a better job with my blog" but then after I lived vicariously through her experiences, I'd happily just go to bed!!

Life since little Em came home has been crazy but joyous!! We had our adjustment getting used to having a baby in the house again & the lack of sleep that entails. We did pretty well for that first month, doing a fair share of cacooning & not introducing Emily to lots of friends & family all at once. Then in early June I decided to take the kids on a "tour of Kansas" to introduce Emily to friends & family. I learned the hard way that the adoption experts aren't just blowing smoke when they say you should cacoon for 1-3 months. We had a great time seeing lots of friends & family and Emily was a trooper through it all, but I think it was a bit overwhelming for her. So we had an adjustment period again when we got home & I told myself hubby is coming along next time!!

Now I'm having a hard time, but thoroughly enjoying, keeping up with all the milestones Emily is hitting!! Since celebrating her first birthday in May, she's been waving "Hi" & "Bye", says "Yeah" (apparantly I say it a lot), says MaMa & Dada and says something that sounds like "Dack" which we interpret as Jack!! Several weeks ago she started standing up on her own & on Tuesday she took her first steps!! It was such a "non-event" for her though...she just decided to do it & it took us a bit by surprise. But don't worry, we pulled out the video camera & captured it!! She now has 6 teeth and gets into EVERYTHING!! I'm trying to teach her to eat from a plate but it's just entertainment for her to dump the food onto her highchair tray & eat it from there...And this girl KNOWS what she wants & doesn't want, so you better not try to convince her otherwise!! She's such a joy. Every day we discover more things that make her smile and laugh and I melt staring into those big beautiful brown eyes. We are SO blessed...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see an update and would love some pictures when you can so we can see the little cutie. Glad all is going well. Yes, coccooning 1-3 mos was best for our little Lana too.
Beckie

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

SO happy to see you update!!!! I too would love to some pictures! Not sure what you are having the hardest time with but please keep me in mind if you need to talk about it! My Major Cutie is much older but you know from my blog that we have had our hard times too! Again, so glad to see you saying hi to us blog stalkers!
Smiles,
jen